This course provides a detailed overview how to do data transformation and analysis using Apache Spark. You will learn the core knowledge and skills needed to develop applications using Apache Spark. The course covers the Apache Spark runtime and application architecture as well as the fundamental concepts of the RDD and DataFrame APIs in Spark.
Basic primers on the map reduce processing pattern and functional programming using Python are provided as well.
The course will teach Apache Spark programming using the transformations and actions available in the RDD and DataFrame APIs and within Spark SQL. Hands-on exercises are provided throughout the course to reinforce concepts.
As well as basic programming skills, additional deep dives are provided into additional programming and runtime constructs such as broadcast variables, accumulators, and RDD and DataFrame storage and lineage options.
Topics covered include:
- Apache Spark introduction and background
- Map reduce processing pattern
- Spark deployment modes
- Spark runtime and application architecture
- Understanding Spark RDDs
- Using Spark with distributed file systems and object stores
- Functional programming with Python
- Using Spark RDD transformations and actions
- RDD storage levels
- Caching, persistence and checkpointing of Spark RDDs
- Broadcast variables and accumulators
- Partitioning in Spark
- Processing RDDs with external programs
- Improving Spark application performance
- Apache hive metastore overview
- DataFrame API and Spark SQL architecture
- Using the DataFrameReader and DataFrameWriter APIs
- Utilising DataFrame API transformations and actions
- Using Apache Spark SQL
- Choosing between the RDD and DataFrame APIs
Developed by Jeffrey Aven, author of SAMS Teach Yourself Apache Spark and Data and Analytics with Spark using Python.
The Data Transformation and Analysis Using Apache Spark module is the first of three modules in the Big Data Development Using Apache Spark series, and lays the foundations for subsequent modules including “Stream and Event Processing using Apache Spark” and “Advanced Analytics using Apache Spark”.
Private and Corporate Training
In addition to our public seminars, workshops and courses, AlphaZetta Academy can provide this training for your organisation in a private setting at your location or ours, or online. Please enquire to discuss your needs.