We believe skills in business case building for digital transformation initiatives is so important it needs to go in sync with adoption rates for data literacy and new level data science tools, platforms and methods. All participants in digital transformation will need to be business case literate in an automated, decision-focused future.
Digital transformation and analytics have yielded great ideas for monetising data, yet a high majority of projects still fail either by not meeting business expectations or not getting funding approval. Often the proper use of data science methods is the focus of use cases and literature, while the story told by data and its clear communication to a mixed audience of decision-makers and co-workers is commonly neglected. This neglect of storytelling with data has become the Achilles heel of successful digital transformation.
Digital business case literacy is the twin sibling of data literacy
Data literacy is the ability to identify, locate, interpret and evaluate information and then communicate key insights effectively. (Australian Public Service Commission, 2018)
Digital business case literacy is the ability to effectively communicate the rationale and key business benefits of a planned initiative in order to get funding for it and deploy it successfully.
This course covers a broad range of business skills, including:
- Telling a concise story based on data (business storytelling)
- Using techniques to simplify and abstract complex situations
- Avoid over and under-engineering of business case calculations and underlying storytelling
- Communicating technical, business and statistical content in mixed teams
- Sharpening data stories to apply financial figures to the resulting business case
The course is split into 2 modules that may be taken separately so that participants may apply skills learned in part 1 in the workplace before embarking on part 2.
Part 1: Storytelling with data
This a 1 day course that covers how to apply storytelling techniques to IT-related content, how to deal with decision making in a gut-driven and data-driven context and how to achieve consensus about content, aim and benefit of planned initiatives even before entering the calculation phase of a business case. It introduces a range of skills from sales, neuroscience and psychology that help in formulating and selling digital initiatives and their rationales to internal and external audiences.
Part 2: Funding approval
Part 2 is a 1 day follow-up course that covers preparation of a business story for application of financial figures, the proper selection of KPIs and financial figures for business case calculation and avoidance of typical pitfalls in business case calculations with special focus on analytics and digital transformation projects.
The course is highly recommended for everyone who needs to communicate new and creative initiatives and justify their funding, e.g. managers, data scientists, data engineers, strategists, business analysts, consultants and sales or IT professionals.
In order to reinforce learning, both parts of the course bristle with hands-on examples from the field and practical exercises. Participants will get the chance to work on self-selected cases and creatively introduce them to a mixed audience consisting of their peers.
Participants are recommended to bring their own laptop with internet browser and/or Powerpoint or other presentation software installed for creative use during practical exercises.
Day 1 – Concise data storytelling
- What is storytelling and why it is essential for the business cases process?
- Why is storytelling effective and how does it work?
- Successful storytelling techniques
- Storytelling in a gut-driven and data-driven decision making context
- How to shape stories to target audiences and find supporters
- Case studies
- Practical exercises
Day 2 – Funding Approval
- Optimising the story line before applying figures to the business case
- Select appropriate complexity, figures and KPIs for business cases
- How to keep a customer mind-set in business case calculations
- The art of selling unpopular figures to popular use cases
- Predicting and pricing intangible benefits
- Finding multipliers for your business case
- Keeping story line and business calculation sound and balanced
- Case studies
- Practical exercises
Face to face public courses: early bird pricing is available until 2 weeks prior. Group discounts: 5% for 2–4 people, 10% for 5–6 people, 15% for 7–8 people, and 20% for 9 or more people. Discounts are calculated during checkout.
Online public courses: available at a 25% off the face-to-face courses as a special introductory price. to groups or to individuals who want to follow a curriculum program and attend multiple courses:
- 2-4 courses/attendees 10% off
- 5+ courses/attendees 20% off
Hurry as bookings will close 1 week before each course. Group discounts are calculated during checkout on individual courses. Individuals can book multiple courses at a discount – please enquire.
Course Booking Terms and Conditions
Private and Corporate Training
In addition to our public seminars, workshops and courses, AlphaZetta Academy can provide this training for your organisation in a private setting at your location or ours, or online. Please enquire to discuss your needs.